Tuesday, April 17, 2012

MFT Sweet Safari VIP Collection

It's here...your chance to get brand new stamps and Die-namics a full two weeks before they're released!!!

This month MFT is offering the Sweet Safari VIP Collection for just $33.95. It includes:
Pure Innocence Giraffe Girl stamp set
Pure Innocence Freckles stamp set
Sweet Safari Sentiments mini set (a VIP exclusive set - will never be offered for sale or be available again, a $9 value, FREE)
Large Royal Rose Die-namics die


Be sure to start at the MFT blog for a full list of participating designers showcasing the Sweet Safari VIP Collection.

First up I used Pure Innocence Freckles...she's sooooooooo cute! I just wanna pinch her little freckled cheeks!! And she's an easy one to paper piece, so that's what I did with papers from the My Mind's Eye A Beautiful Life 6x6 pad.

The image was stamped with Memento Tuxedo black then I cut it out with the oval STAX 2 Die-namics. I can't remember the last time I paper pierced around an image. I did it free hand, just using the embossed edge as a guide and eyeballing the spacing. The card layout is Card Patterns Sketch 160.

Wisteria felt was a perfect match for these papers so I used it to create the Large Royal Rose and added a few twine loops behind it. I can't get enough of my fishtail flags STAX Die-namics dies so I used them to cut out the chevron paper and layered it onto Hot Fudge card stock. The base layers are Fossil and Grape Jelly card stocks.

Next up is the equally adorable Pure Innocence Giraffe Girl. I also wanted to paper piece her top, but it's a little trickier to do so I took photos along the way, which I'll share as you scroll down this post.

I used the new Large Royal Rose Die-namics die to cut out the flower from Fossil card stock then added some plaid leaves which I cut out using the royal leaves Die-namics die.

The layout for this card is the My Time Made Easy sketch 56, and I used the chevron stripes Die-namics to cut out the three horizontal strips. Then I used the narrow banner from the first place award ribbon Die-namics for the sentiment, which is from the exclusive Sweet Safari Sentiments Mini set.

On the inside I added more chevron stripes, stamped Giraffe Girl with Memento Potter's Clay, then added a sentiment from the Pure Innocence Giraffe Girl set. I used the following MFT card stock on this card: Fossil, Hot Fudge, and Orange Fizz


Here's how I paper pieced her shirt:

First I stamped the image two times onto cream card stock and once onto the polka dot patterned paper (from the My Mind's Eye Mabel 6x6 pad). I coloured the parts of the image that I wasn't going to paper piece, including her upper arms (I gave the lower parts of her arms one coat of colour before I realized they'd be covered.

Next I glued on the polka dot shirt layer, which includes the giraffe and her hands, so she looks a little funny at this point.

Then I glued the last layer, the giraffe and the lower parts of her arms (which I coloured with copic markers), and now she looks much better!

Here's a side view to try and show you the three layers of paper piecing.


Here are the Die-namics I used:


Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

17 comments:

Sherrie said...

Lovely! Great "how-tos" as well....drooling over your patterned paper chevrons too!

Karen Giron said...

Soooo cute! I love your little paper pieced safari girl and your freckles card is darling! Love that big flower!

Jackie Pedro said...

You are my paper piecing IDOL! I could not figure out how to paper piece this PI!! Now I KNOW! Adorable adorable cards, Karen!

Colleen Begley said...

YIKES, Karen! These are so, so cute. Great coloring, great paper piecing and a great tutorial. Thanks.

Tanya said...

Oh how adorable are your cards! Love that purple flower! Those chevrons are to die for (kickin' myself for not getting them this order!) Thank-you for the paper piecing visual!!!

StampOwl said...

Love love love them Karen

Melody said...

Love the embossing and the chevrons!

Kary said...

Just beautiful, Karen!! Both cards are Awesome, I love the colours and design. The PI girls are so sweet. {hugs}

Inge Groot said...

Gorgeous cards Karen, love the little how to paperpiece tutorial and those flowers are perfection!

Lisa H. said...

gorgeous, my friend! looove both of these....so, so sweet. And the paper piecing tut is great!

Debbie Carriere said...

So, so adorable!!! Love the colors! Love her top on the first card and the sparkly flower is darling on the second!

Tara Godfrey said...

Karen your cards are just too CUTE,hun! Love the embossing...I never thing to do it at the time...gorgeous papers and I love the beautiful flowers. Thanks for the paper piecing tut...very helpful!
Hugs,t

Bonnie said...

Yep, I love it! Your paper piecing is to die for! Great tutorial!

Barbara said...

Two fabulous designs, Karen! LOVE the colors you used!

Michele Boyer said...

These are ADORABLE! I just the love the paper-piecing!

wendy said...

whow real cute new VIP PI"S ...and all the yummy dies you used....swoon... really great cards Karen!

Dana White said...

Oh those are both so cute - great photos of the paper piecing; ya know that's my fave!!